Hey y’all! Emily here. If you’re anything like me, you probably have anywhere from five to six throw pillows sitting on your bed right now. Seriously. I love throw pillows!
Whether you’re redecorating a room in your home, or just want to revamp one of your favorite spaces, throw pillows are the perfect way to refresh and add personality to a space. And when you start playing around with things like colors, patterns, shapes, and fabrics, the options truly become endless! If you’re not sure where to start, I’ve rounded up a few of my recent favorites (linked below).
But this post wouldn’t be complete without sharing a few throw pillow tips and tricks I’ve picked up along the way! So, here we go:
1. Look for feathers and down. For the lushest and fluffiest throw pillows, look for a fill mix of feathers and down. While a little more expensive upfront, these types of pillows will have more squish, and hold their shape better than synthetic or foam fills.
2. Shop wisely. When shopping for throw pillows, you can either look for the entire throw pillow (insert and cover), or you can shop for covers and purchase your inserts separately. My favorite source for inserts is currently H&M home, or if you’re working with us, we have a trade resource that will save you even more money! This is a great option if you like to change up your style often, because you don’t have to buy an entirely new pillow every time.
3. Mix colors and patterns. Don’t be afraid to mix and match colors and patterns. Generally speaking, stick within the color palette of your room for a cohesive look, but use your throw pillows as a way to add pops of color. Pattern-wise, if a couple of your pillows have a big, bold pattern, compliment them with pillows that are solid colored, more neutral in color, and/or have a simpler print.
4. Experiment with shapes and sizes. When it comes to size, experiment with pairing together pillows of different sizes (and mix and match shapes like square, rectangular, circular, or lumbar).
5. Arrange in odd numbers. If you’re unsure how best to arrange throw pillows in your space, it’s always a safe bet to go with an odd number (1, 3, or 5 depending on the size/look of your furniture) rather than strive for pillow symmetry.
6. Play with textures and fabrics. Finally, when experimenting with different colors and patterns, consider textures and fabrics, too! Choosing a mix of different fabrics and textures can make a big difference in adding interest to your space. A few favorite options are mudcloth, silk, linen, and embroidered throw pillows.
What it really comes down to, is, have fun with it! Choosing your throw pillows is one of the most fun parts of the design process, and finding the right pillows can truly make your space feel put-together and complete.
Top: Blue Kayo Pillow, Grey French Stripe Pillow
Middle: Navy Tribal Stitches Pillow, Marble Geode Pillow
Bottom: Dalmatian Pillow, Fuchsia Spotted Silk Pillow